SHAHI TUKDA


Shahi Tukda

I think the picture says everything. Frankly speaking, I wasn't prepared to cook this dish. But, last week, I meet one of my friends and while chatting I came to know that he has heard of a sweet Mughal cuisine called Shahi Tukda and that he has never tasted it before. So, I thought of making Shahi Tukda at home and invited him to have it. He was astonished to see the dish on the table and couldn't figure out the main ingredients. Then, I asked him to keep an eye on my Blog this Wednesday. I have shared recipes of sweet dishes before too, where I have mentioned not to look after any health benefits while having sweets...Heavenly Peace.  

Ingredients: (Serves 4)
  • ·        Whole fat milk: 1 litre
  • ·        Milkmaid:  3-4 tablespoon
  • ·        Sugar as per taste
  • ·        Bread slices: 5-6
  • ·        Chopped dry fruits:  ½ cup
  • ·        Ghee for frying
  • ·        Water: 1cup
  • ·        Cardamom powder- ½ teaspoon
  • ·        Strands of saffron for garnishing



Whole fat milk

 Bread sliced into different shapes

                                             Almonds                                   Cashew
Directions:

For Rabdi:
1.    In a heavy bottomed pan heat the whole fat milk and bring it to boil until it changes to light brownish colour.
2.   Constantly stir it so that it doesn’t burn.
3.   Lower the flame as mus as possible.
4.   When the 1litre turns to half a litre add cardamom powder and boil.
5.   Add some portion of dry fruits and keep rest for garnishing.
6.   Now add Milkmaid and sugar, stir thoroughly.
7.   When it thickens your Rabdi is ready.
8.   Don’t every hurry while making Rabdi.
9.   This whole process will take almost an hour.
10. Keep the Rabdi aside.

Milk when thickens

Rabdi

For sugar syrup:
  1. Heat 1 cup of water with ½ cup of sugar.
  2. Lower the flame and bring it to boil.
  3. Let it thicken.
  4. Boil till the thread consistency is reached.
  5. Switch off the flame.
  6. If the syrup cools down it will crystallize.
  7. Don’t panic just add some water and boil again.
  8. Keep the syrup aside.
Sugar Syrup


For frying bread:
  1. Shape the bread in the way you like. This basically attracts kids.
  2. Here, I have used bear shape and rectangular shape. This is optional.
  3. Heat the flat pan and add ghee to it.
  4. Lower the flame and fry the bread it turns golden brown for both sides.
  5. Switch off the flame.
Heat Ghee

 Fried Bread



For Shahi Tukda:
  1. Take out the fried bread from the pan and dip it into the sugar syrup.
  2. See that the bread is evenly coated with syrup from both the sides.
  3. Don’t dip it for too long.
  4. Take the serving dish.
  5. Add some rabdi to it.
  6. Arrange the sugar syrup soaked bread on the rabdi.
  7. Then, again pour the rest rabdi on the bread evenly.
  8. For garnishing add the left dry fruits and strands of saffron.
  9. Your Shahi Tukda is ready to eat.
Soak the bread in sugar syrup

In a dish add rabdi and the bread

Garnish Shahi Tukda with dry fruits and saffron strands

Shahi Tukda ready to eat

N/B: Taste your food before serving. Shahi Tukda can be served hot. I prefer to fridge it so that the rabdi thickens more and the taste comes out. If you add Chandi ka Varak (Silver foil), add it just before serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHOCO JHURJHURA

MUTTON WITH PAPAYA

SHUKTONI